Saturday, August 15, 2009

IDLE THOUGHTS OF ANOTHER TIME

'Time, tide and rising trout wait for no man'.

Arthur Ransome


Seasons come and go and with each season new lessons are learnt; some we hang on to, others just drift way back into the memory.
Trout caught or lost also leave an implant; a perfect example of this happened a while ago.

It was on a Monday the 28th of November 2005; I was fishing on the Rubicon River with Lyndon Webb and showing him a short line nymphing technique that I frequently use. As I stood beside Lyndon in knee deep water watching intently as his nymph drifted back down towards him, I felt a slight bump on my right leg. I took no notice as I was too absorbed in what was going on, until it happened again. To my utter surprise when I eventually did look down, a large trout had taken up station beside my leg. The fish would have been close to 2 kilo in size. Those who fish this wonderful little river in Central Eastern Victoria will know that this is a very large fish for that water.

Did we catch it? No, it simply swam over towards Lyndon and slowly drifted down away from our range of sight.

Each time you walk past a point of battle the scene is flashed back and it in turn leaves the hope that your opponent is still there, maybe just a little larger than last season and maybe a little wiser. Such is the life of a trout and the trout angler.

No comments: