Friday, August 14, 2009

THE FLIES OF NIKLAS DAHLIN OF SWEDEN

I met Nik via the Sexyloops fly tying forum where he is a frequent participant. His passion is tying flies and of course fly fishing.

Nik lives in Sweden and he has taken an interest in our Aussie bugs and flies that I and others have posted on the Sexyloops site.

A while back Nik posted a pic of some really small flies tied on size 28 hooks. I jokingly told Nik that he could do a couple of hundred for me. Well would you believe he sent me a few different patterns and that Tiemco hook that he used is small, I mean really small. On the other hand he also posted a pattern that he had designed from a pic of a Kossie Dun from the website and to my surprise that turned up in the package as well. What’s the point, you may ask. Well it is well and good looking at pictures of flies on the website but to hold them in your hand is another matter.


I must tell you that Nik as far as a life time goes has not been tying all that long, with only a handful of years under his belt. Looking at his flies and the skill level that he has attained over that period is exceptional and I can tell you I am looking forward to see what else comes from the vice of this young man.


Congratulations Nik and thank you for the flies, they will not be fished but added to my collection.



One very small Caenis and a tiny Red Tag,

one of Australia's favourites.



Orange Spinner

















A small Spider pattern



Many thanks Nik.

Cheers,

Mick




No comments: