Friday, August 7, 2009

MIKE VALLA'S BOOK

Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies


As many of you who visit my website would be aware, one of our guest fly tyers, Mike Valla, has written a book about the history of the dry flies of the Catskills and his close friends the late Walt and Winnie Dette; Mike tells how they taught him to tie flies and fish the many streams that encompass this world famous region.


Well, guess what, I just received my copy and all I can say it is simply fantastic, great photography, great layout and production work.


Mike has done a wonderful job in writing a book that is destined to become not only a very wanted addition to any library but a true classic.


Famed American author Eric Leiser writes of this book:

“Valla’s insatiable desire for perfection shows in this text. He has done his homework”.


You may say I am a little biased in my review because Mike is a friend of mine and that I am in this book but I can honestly say this it is an honour to be included in a work of this calibre. If you are into the Catskills, its history its fly tyers and those other fly fishing legends that have thrown a fly over these waters, then this book is a must for you.


Mike, congratulations, a job well done.


You can order Mike's Book direct from the publishers:

Headwater Books for$49.95 us.

The ISBN 978-1-93475-01-9

Email Media@headwaterbooks.com


Cheers,

Mick

2 comments:

Alistair McDonald said...

I was lucky enough to win some of Nik’s flies in a charity auction and they look brilliant.

He is keen to see how they will work on our rivers and often asks if I have given them a swim. They almost look too good to fish with. Roll on the start of the season and hopefully some decent hatches will give me the opportunity to tell him how well they work.

Ally

Anonymous said...

Hi Iam Prabhu from chennai,joined today in this forum... :)